This movie adaptation was written and directed by Kenneth Johnson who is mostly known for such television shows as The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman and The Incredible Hulk. Because of these past endeavors he was reluctant to do another superhero project. Producer Joel Simon talked him into it by describing the character as a “Knight in shining armor” in a contemporary world, thus the cape was ditched as well as almost every single aspect from the comic.
Comic Book Version
“No one told me weapons could hurt people.”
“Excuse me, but could I see someone about hunting and killing Donkey Kong?”
Kind of Steels your breath away, doesn’t it?
Also Shaq looks ridiculous riding his “Steelcycle”
Jupiter Jones and The Three Investigators want their hideout back.
Who’s your money on?
Things Too Stupid Not to Mention
• They have a running gag poking fun at Shaq’s poor free throwing ability that “pays off” when he has to throw a grenade through a small hole. A grenade that apparently has a bloody 25 second fuse!
• Uncle Joe gives Steel his hammer and tells him, “I especially like the Shaft.” Richard Roundtree of course played Shaft. *sigh*
• Steel has Batman’s grappling gun.
• Superman doesn’t exist in this world but John Henry Irons has a Man of Steel tattoo.
• When John Henry asks Sparks how the buyers for the weapons will make contact he is told, “In this day in age there is only one way…the Internet!”
“Can I go home now?”